Yearly month-wise important West Bengal state Current Affairs from January 2019 to December 2019 related to important state affairs, Government policy, person & place in the news, etc. for West Bengal state-level competitive exams like WBCS, Miscellaneous Service, Food SI, Police recruitment exam, and other competitive exams.
West Bengal Current Affairs January 2019
- On January 10, 2019, West Bengal Govt announced the exit of West Bengal from the Ayushman Bharat-Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojna due to the use of PM’s picture in the official poster of the center-state joint scheme.
- Mamata Banerjee led West Bengal government announced two welfare initiatives for farmers as a part of the ‘Krishi Krishak Bondhu’ scheme which will come into effect from New Year’s Day i.e. January 1, 2019.
- Under the first of the two schemes, If a farmer aged between 18 to 60 years dies naturally or unnaturally, the state government will pay his family Rs 2 lakh.
- Under the second initiative, farmers would get Rs 2,500 twice a year for growing a single crop on one acre of land.
- Lifetime Achievement Award is given to Filmmaker Buddhadeb Dasgupta by West Bengal Film Journalists Association (WBFJA) in the 3rd Cinemar Samabartan ceremony held in Kolkata on January 13, 2019.
- Winners of Padma Bhushan 2019 from West Bengal:
- Shri Budhaditya Mukherjee (Art-Music-Sitar)
- Winners of Padma Shri 2019 from West Bengal:
- Shri Swapan Chaudhuri (Art-Music-Tabla)
- Shri Mammen Chandy (Medicine-Hematology)
- US Based Indian poet Ranjani Murali was awarded the “Woman’s Voice Award” with Apeejay Kolkata Literary Festival (AKLF).
- Renowned Bengali writer and Sahitya Akademi awardee Dibyendu Palit passed away at 79 in Kolkata.
- Veteran Bengali writer Atin Bandyopadhyay passed away in Kolkata due to brain stroke.
West Bengal Current Affairs February 2019
- The Union Cabinet chaired by Narendra Modi approved the setting up of a circuit bench of Calcutta High court at Jalpaiguri in West Bengal. This Circuit bench will have jurisdiction in 4 places- Darjeeling, Jalpaiguri, Cooch Behar, Kalimpong.
- Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi inaugurated Railway electrification of 294-km long Andal-Sainthia-Pakur-Malda and Khana-Sainthia sections in West Bengal.
- International Society for Krishna Consciousness (ISKCON) has decided to set up a “World Heritage Centre” housing “spiritual camps” of 45 countries, at its headquarter, Mayapur in Nadia district of West Bengal.
- Regional Conference on ‘Deendayal Disabled Rehabilitation Scheme (DDRS)’ organized by DEPwD at Kolkata, West Bengal.
- Union Culture Minister Mahesh Sharma inaugurated India’s very first ‘Fulldome 3D Digital Theatre’ at the Science City in Kolkata, West Bengal.
- Bengali singer Pratik Choudhary passed away in Kolkata, West Bengal due to cardiac arrest.
- He’s popular for songs like Sakhi Tumi Kar (1980), Ek Je AachheKanya (2001) and Patalghar (2003) and has performed with famous singers in various concerts.
- Father Franois Laborde a 92-year-old priest from Bengal was conferred with Légion d’Honneur (Legion of Honour) in recognition of his work for specially-abled and destitute children.
- Father Laborde has set up an organization called Howrah South Point.
- Father Franois Laborde is the third person from the state of West Bengal to have been awarded the Legion of Honor after film maestro Satyajit Ray and actor Soumitra Chatterjee.
West Bengal Current Affairs March 2019
- West Bengal Govt. launched a new scheme called Yuvashree Plan II or Yuvashree Arpan under which 50,000 youths will receive financial assistance of Rs 1 lakh for setting up their own business initiatives.
- The Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee laid the foundation stone of the first Hindi university in West Bengal in Arupara, Howrah district.
- The Japanese government decided to provide Rs. 22 lakhs ($31,800) for the Rabindra Bharati Museum in Kolkata, West Bengal in order to establish deeper and stronger historical and cultural ties with India.
- The winners of the 60th National Academy Awards from West Bengal – Pratap Chandra Chakraborty
- West Bengal Education Minister, Partha Chatterjee unveiled a web portal, “Banglar Shiksha“ (banglarshiksha.gov.in), to provide real-time data on state-run and aided schools.
- Binapani Devi, popularly known as Boro Maa, died at the age of 100 years, due to age-related ailments.
- She headed the Matuas sect, a religious refugee community from Bangladesh.
- Matua community live to North 24 Parganas district of West Bengal
- Veteran Bengali actor, Chinmoy Roy who was known for his portrayal of comic characters, passed away at his salt lake residence following Cardiac arrest at the age of 79.
- Under the National Supercomputing Mission (NSM), India’s 1st state-of-the-art 1.3 PetaFlop HighPerformance Computing facility and data center ecosystem will set up at IIT Kharagpur.
West Bengal Current Affairs April 2019
- Justice Thottathil Bhaskaran Nair Radhakrishnan sworn-in as the new Chief Justice of Calcutta High Court. He succeeded Biswanath Somadder.
- Calcutta Sports Journalists’ club annual awards 2019 held at Kolkata:
- Jhulan Goswami, former captain of India national women’s cricket team, awarded the “Sportsperson of the Year”.
- Sukumar Samajpati, former India winger and Sambaran Banerjee, former national selector and Bengal’s Ranji Trophy-winning captain honored ‘Lifetime Achievement’ awards.
- The schemes under the West Bengal government, namely, “Utkarsh Bangla” (Skill training of the youth) and“Sabooj Sathi” (cycles for students) have won the distinguished World Summit on the Information Society (WSIS) awards of the United Nations (UN).
- Utkarsh Bangla Scheme: The aim of this scheme is to give vocational training to school dropouts by providing 400 to 1200 hours of training free of any charge, thus providing impetus to increase employment opportunities for the young generation.
- Sabooj Sathi Scheme: This scheme, launched in September 2015 aimed at the distribution of environment-friendly bicycles to students of class IX to XII studying in government-run and government-aided schools and madrashas. The objective of the scheme was to empower the students, especially the girl students and to reduce dropouts in higher education.
- Famous Bengali Folk Singer Amar Paul died at the age of 97.
West Bengal Current Affairs May 2019
- Veteran Bengali film and TV actor Mrinal Mukherjee died in Kolkata at the age of 74.
- Chief Minister of West Bengal, Mamata Banerjee, in a reshuffle of ministers, appointed Alapan Bandyopadhyay, an IAS officer of the 1987 batch, as the new Home Secretary for West Bengal. He succeeds Atri Bhattacharya.
- The Chief of Naval Staff, Admiral Sunil Lanba inaugurated Indian Navy’s first full-fledged Service Selection Board (SSB) at Diamond Harbour, near Kolkata. This is the fifth SSBService Selection Board of the Indian Navy.
West Bengal Current Affairs June 2019
- West Bengal Government launched a crop insurance scheme, Bangla Shashya Bima (BSB) for the 2019 ‘Kharif’ season to protect farmers from losses due to natural disasters and provide a steady income in case of unstable market prices.
- MHA released the rankings of Police Stations for 2018:
- Kalu police station in Bikaner district of Rajasthan was ranked the best police station.
- Campbell Bay police station in Nicobar district of Andaman & Nicobar Islands was ranked second.
- Farakka police station in Murshidabad, West Bengal was ranked third.
- Flight Lieutenant Mohana Singh became the first IAF woman pilot to fly Hawk jets. She landed the grueling 4 aircraft combat sortie at the Kalaikunda Air Force Station in West Bengal.
- Brij Mohan Khaitan, a veteran industrialist passed away in Kolkata. He is also known as Evergreen tea man of India. He hailed from West Bengal.
- Bengali singer-actress Ruma Guha Thakurta died at her Baliganj residence in Kolkata following old age-related problems at the age of 84.
- Army commissioned “Continuous Ambient Air Quality Monitoring System (CAAQMS)”, an air quality monitor, at Fort William Military Station, Kolkata, as a part of ‘Go Green’ initiative. It monitors air pollution on a real-time basis.
West Bengal Current Affairs July 2019
- West Bengal government celebrated its first ‘Save Water Day’ on July 12, 2019, to spread the message of water conservation.
- West Bengal CM, Mamata Banerjee in the inaugural ceremony of the 75th year celebrations of the Kolkata Press Club, informed that the state government will bring legislation in the Assembly to ensure the job security of Journalists in the State.
- The technical education department of West Bengal(WB) will sign an MoU(memorandum of understanding) with the British Council to improve the English speaking skills of the students studying in Polytechnic Colleges in the state.
- After West Bengal, Odisha gets GI tag for its sweet version of Rasagola.
- West Bengal and other five states get new governors:
Keshari Nath Tripathi
Anandi Ben Patel
Lal Ji Tandon
Anandi Ben Patel
Lal Ji Tandon
Kaptan Singh Solanki
- Arinjeeta Dey form Barasat, West Bengal has won a silver medal in the under 12 age category in the World Youth Cup 2019 which was held in Umag, Croatia.
- Bengal Open Squash Tournament 2019:
- Men’s category: Winner – Abhay Singh(Tamil Nadu); Runner – Abhishek Pradhan(Maharasthra)
- Women’s category: Winner – Tanvi Khanna (Delhi); Runner – Aparajitha Balamurukan (Tamil Nadu)
- Santosh Rana, one of the foremost leaders of the Communist Party of India passed away in Kolkata. He was born in Gopiballavpur, West Bengal.
- He received Ananda Puraskar award for his book Rajnitir Ek Jibon in 2018
- Former Bengal and Railways leg-spinner Soumendranath Kundu, aged 77, passed away in Kolkata, West Bengal.
- Bangladesh’s former military dictator, Hussein Mohammed Ershad, passed away in Dhaka, Bangladesh. He was born on February 1, 1930, in Dinhata, Bengal Presidency, British India (Now in Coochbehar, West Bengal).
- Bangladesh-India two-day B2B (Business to Business) trade summit held in Kolkata, West Bengal.
- The Federation of Bangladesh Chambers of Commerce and Industries (FBCCI) President Sheikh Fazle Fahim stated that the bilateral trade between India and Bangladesh accounted to $9.5 billion for 2017-18.
- Barun Haldar, veteran newsreader of All India Radio(AIR) passed away at the age of 85 in Kolkata.
- Chief Minister of West Bengal Mamata Banerjee launched a unique initiative called ‘Didi Ke Bolo’ (Tell your sister) campaign to reach out to people of State.