Yearly important West Bengal Current Affairs related to Government policy, polity, current Economy updates, important national events, people in the news, a place in the news, etc. for State PSC (WBCS, Food SI), Police and other competitive exams.
Important West Bengal State Current Affairs – January 2018 to December 2018.
West Bengal Current Affairs
- Air Forces of India and US participated their 12-day joint exercise “Ex Cope India-2018” in West Bengal’s two Air Force bases Kalaikunda and Panagarh.
- West Bengal Observes ‘Rosogolla Day’ On November 14.
- On November 16, 2018, retired Calcutta High Court judge Asim Kumar Roy was appointed the Lokayukta of West Bengal for a period of three years.
- A study named ‘Ease of Moving Index’ by Ola Mobility Institute, Kolkata topped among all metro cities in public transport.
- West Bengal State assemble passed ‘West Bengal Green University(Amendment) Bill 2018’ to rename the West Bengal Green University as Rani Rashmoni Green University on 26th November 2018.
- Calcutta High Court judge Justice D K Gupta has been appointed as the Chief Justice of the Calcutta High Court.
- India and Asian Development Bank (ADB) signed $240 million loan agreement for West Bengal Drinking Water Sector Improvement Project to provide safe drinking water to people in three districts(Bankura, North 24 Parganas and Purba Medinipur) of West Bengal.
- Khadya Sathi – Food Security Scheme launched by West Bengal Govt om 16th Oct 2018.
- Kolkata Municipal Corporation launched a Flood Forecasting and Early Warning System(FFEWS) for Kolkata City with $1 mn assistance from Asian Development Bank. It is also India’s first comprehensive city level FFFWS.
- According to a recent study by School of Envirnmental Studies(SOES), Jadavpur University, arsenic contamination in paddy is rising from ground water in West Bengal.
- West Bengal government rolled out Swayangsiddha scheme to combat human trafficking.
- Former Speaker of the Lok Sabha and Communist veteran Somnath Chatterjee passes away.
- Former Bengal cricket captain Gopal Bose passes away.
- West Bengal CM announces ‘One person, one car’ policy for ministers and bureaucrats.
- West Bengal State Government and National Health Agency(NHA) sign MOU to implement Ayushman Bharat Scheme.
- On August 12, 2018, Israel opened a visa application centre in Kolkata for tourists from West Bengal and NE States.
- Eminent economist and former West Bengal Finance Minister Ashok Mitra passed away on 1st May 2018.
- Oil and Natural Gas Corp (ONGC) has made oil and gas discoveries in Madhya Pradesh(in Vindhyan basin) and West Bengal(in Ashok Nagar of North 24 Parganas district) that may potentially open up two new sedimentary basins in country.
- 18th International Children’s Film Festival inaugurated in Kolkata, West Bengal, August 9 – Sepetember 30, 2018.
- West Bengal Goes Green, to Light up 2000 Schools with Solar Power by 2019.
- The central government has declared Digambarpur gram panchayat of West Bengal in South 24 Parganas district as the best panchayat in the country.
- Sunderban Reserve Forest to get Ramsar site status. According to 2017 Forest Survey of India report, Indian Sunderbans, with 2114 sq. km. of mangrave forest, comprise almost 43% of the mangrave cover in India.
- Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his Bangladesh counterpart Sheikh Hasina inaugurated Bangladesh Bhawan at Vishwa Bharti University in Santiniketan, West Bengal.
- As per Census 2011 date, among all State and Union Territories, highest number of beggars resides in West Bengal followed by Uttar Pradesh and Andhra Pradesh, while Lakshadweep has only two beggars.
- West Bengal is the best performing State in term of allotting jobs and utilising funds under the MGNREG Act for the 2017-18 followed by Tamil Nadu. Goa ranked at the bottom in the list.
- Asha Bhosle to be honoured with West Bengal’s highest civilian award Banga Bibhushan.
- Kolkata becomes first Indian metro to get floating market. On 24th January 2018, Chief Minister M Banerjee, inaugurated the floating market located at Lake Patuli on the eatern part of Kolkata.
- Legendary Bengali actor Soumitra Chatterjee was awarded France’s highest civilian award, Legion d’Honneur.
- West Bengal becomes first state to opt out National Health Protection Scheme(NHPS) also known as ‘Modicare’, which was announced in the Union Budget 2018-19.
- Indian scientist have discovered a new plant species named ‘Drypeteskalamii’ in Jaldapara and Buxa National Parks in West Bengal.This new plant has been named after former President India Abdul Kalal. Drypeteskalamii was discovered by the scientists of Botanical Survey of India.
- Aditya Mehta Wins Kolkata Open 2018 International Invitation Snooker Championship.
- Indian Railways has installed Asia’s largest Solid State Interlocking (SSI) system at Kharagpur in West Bengal.
Read More Current Affairs…