Awards and Honours in Current Affairs January to December 2019 with latest winners of various awards in India and world. Questions on Awards and Honours is common in Government exams like State PSC, SSC, Banking etc. Downloadable PDF available in the end of the article.
- The highest civilian award Bharat Ratna was conferred to former President Pranab Mukherjee, social activist Nanaji Deshmukh (posthumously) and musician Dr Bhupen Hazarika (posthumously).
- Padma Vibhushan 2019 Awardees
- Teejan Bai – Art-Vocals-Folk(Chhattisgarh)
- Shri Ismail Omar Guelleh (Foreigner) – Public Affairs Djibouti
- Shri Anilkumar Manibhai Naik – Trade & Industry-Infrastructure Maharashtra
- Shri Balwant Moreshwar Purandare – Art-Acting-Theatre Maharashtra
- Gandhi Peace Prize for the 2018 awarded to Mr. Yohei Sasakawa, Chairman of The Nippon Foundation.
- Egyptian footballer Mohamed Salah has been named African Footballer of the Year 2018.
- ICC Men’s Awards 2018
- Sir Garfield Sobers Trophy for ICC Cricketer of the Year – Virat Kohli (India)
- ICC Men’s Test Player of the Year ICC Men’s ODI Player of the year – Virat Kohli (India)
- Emerging Player of the year – Rishabh Pant
- Men’s T20I Performance of the Year – Aaron Finch(Australia)
- ICC Women’s Awards 2018
- ICC Women’s T20I Player of the Year – Alyssa Healy (Australia)
- ICC Women’s Emerging Player of the Year – Sophie Ecclestone (England)
- ‘Rachael Heyhoe Flint Award for the Women’s Cricketer of the Year‘ and ‘Women’s ODI Player of the Year – Smriti Mandhana
- 76th Golden Globe Awards held at Beverly Hills, California in USA
- Best Motion Picture – Drama Bohemian Rhapsody
- Best Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy Green Book
- Best Actor – Drama Rami Malek for “Bohemian Rhapsody”
- Best Actress – Drama Glenn Close for “The Wife”
- Best Foreign Language Film Roma (Mexico)
- Sunil Chhetri was conferred the first ever Football Ratna honour by Football Delhi.
- Swachhata Excellence Awards 2019
- First – Raigarh
- Second – Ambikapur
- Third – Kumbakonam
- Rabindranath Tagore Award for Cultural Harmony
- For the year 2014 – Shri Rajkumar Singhajit Singh
- For the year 2015 – Chhayanaut
- For the year 2016 – Shri Ram Sutar Vanji
- Abdul Aziz Muhamat Wins International Human Rights Prize.
- 61st Annual Grammy Awards:
- Album of the Year – Golden Hour by Kacey Musgraves
- Record of the Year – “This is America”, Childish Gambino
- Song of the Year – “This is America”, Childish Gambino
- Laureus Sports Awards 2019:
- portsman of the Year – Novak Djokovic Tennis Serbia
- Sportswoman of the Year – Simone Biles Gymnastics USA
- Team of the Year – France’s Football Team Football France
- Sport for Good Award Jharkhand based NGO – Yuwa Football India
- 91st Academy Awards (Oscars 2019)
- Best picture – Green Book
- Best actress – Olivia Colman (The Favourite)
- Best actor – Rami Malek (Bohemian Rhapsody)
- Best director – Alfonso Cuaron (Roma)
- Best foreign language film – Roma (Mexico)
- Hindi writer Leeladhar Jagudi will be honoured with the Vyas Samman 2018.
- Swachh Survekshan 2019 Awards
- Indore awarded as Cleanest City; Ambikapur in Chattisgarh was acknowledged as the second India’s Cleanest City overall and became a role model for other towns in the state, followed by Mysuru as the third cleanest city.
- Gujarat’s Ahmedabad was named as the Cleanest Big City in the population category of more than 10 lakh people.
- Chhattisgarh has also emerged India’s top performer among states, followed by Jharkhand and Maharashtra.
- 64th Film fare Awards 2019
- Best Film – Raazi
- Critics Best Film – Andhadhun
- Best Actor in a Leading Role (Male) – Ranbir Kapoor (Sanju)
- Best Actor in a Leading Role (Female) – Alia Bhatt (Raazi)
- Oman author Jokha Alharthi won the prestigious ‘Man Booker International Prize 2019’ for her novel “Celestial Bodies”.
- Veteran British journalist Sir Mark Tully was conferred with Lifetime Achievement Award 2019 at UK-India Awards in London.
- Sports Journalists Federation of India 2019 Awards:
- SJFI Medal (Highest Honour): Prakash Padukone (Badminton).
- Sportsperson of the Year Award: Pankaj Advani (Billiards and Snooker) and Bajrang Punia (Wrestling).
- Emerging Talent of the Year Award: Saurabh Choudhary (Shooting).
- Team of the Year Award: Vidarbha Cricket Team.
- Para-Athlete Toran Yadav Wins 3 Silver Medals for India at World Wealth Yoga Festival and Championship held at Bulgaria, Sofia.
- All India Football Federation’s (AIFF) Awards’s 2019
- Sunil Chhetri won the Men’s footballer of the year.
- Ashalata Devi won the Women’s footballer of the year.
- Former Olympic gold medal-winning Hockey Player Keshav Dutt and former India Football Captain Prasun Banerjee are selected for Mohun Bagan Ratna Award 2019.
- Zen Master Thich Nhat Hanh to be awarded the first Gandhi Mandela Peace Medal 2019.
- Azim Premji and Ajaypal Singh Banga have been chosen for 2019 Global Excellence Award of the US-India Strategic Partnership Forum (USISPF) for their contribution to strengthening economic ties between the US and India.
- Bengali film ‘Nagarkirtan’ has won four awards (Best Director’, ‘Best Actor’ and ‘Best Original Score’) including ‘Best Feature Film’ at SAARC Film Festival 2019 held in Sri Lanka.
- Vidisha Baliyan, a 21-year-old girl from Uttar Pradesh’s Muzaffarnagar city, was crowned Miss Deaf World 2019.
- Priya Priyadarshini Jain won with the prestigious “Indian Women of Influence” award.
- Indian journalist Ravish Kumar wins 2019 Raman Magsaysay Award along with four other: Ko Swe Win from Myanmar, Angkhana Neelapaijit from Thailand, Raymundo Pujante Cayabyab from the Philippines and Kim Jong-Ki from South Korea.
- Former Cricketer Kapil Dev honoured with Bharat Gaurav Award 2019 by East Bengal club.
- Dr K Sivan, Chairman, ISRO was awarded Dr A P J Abdul Kalam Award by Tamil Nadu government for the year 2019.
- Uttar Pradesh government set a world record by planting over 22 crore saplings in a day on the 77th anniversary of the Quit India Movement.
- Melbourne’s La Trobe University honours Shahrukh Khan with a doctorate degree.
- National Film Awards 2019
- Best Feature Film – Hellaro (Gujarati)
- Best Actor – Ayushmann Khurrana & Vicky Kaushal
- Best Actress – Keerthy Suresh
- Best Bengali Film – Ek Je Chhilo Raja
- Anand Kumar has been awarded the prestigious Education Excellence Award 2019 by the Foundation For Excellence (FFE).
- Telugu poet K Siva Reddy has been selected for the prestigious Saraswati Samman, 2018 (28th) for his collection of poetry titled Pakkaki Ottigilite.
- PM Shri Narendra Modi honours the ‘Global Goalkeeper’ Award by Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation for Swachh Bharat Abhiyan.
- ‘Gully Boy’ is India’s official entry for Oscars 2020.
- Bollywood’s megastar Amitabh Bachchan has been selected for Dada Saheb Phalke award for the year 2018.
- IIT Ropar & IISc Bangalore top ranked among the 56 Indian institutes in the Times Higher Education World University Ranking 2020.
- University of Oxford, UK, top ranked Universities of the World in the Times Higher Education World University Ranking 2020.
- Cochin International Airport Ltd has been selected as the best airport in terms of services it offered to passengers, based on a survey conducted by Airport Council International (ACI).
- FIFA Football Awards 2019
- The Best FIFA Men’s Player – Lionel Messi (Argentina)
- The Best FIFA Women’s Player – Megan Rapinoe (America)
- Gangs Of Wasseypur has become the only Indian film to feature in “The Guardian” list of 100 Best Films of the 21st century.
- Moti Bagh, a documentary based on an Uttarakhand farmer’s life has been nominated for the Oscars. The documentary film, directed by Nirmal Chander.
- Pooja Desai from Vadodara crowned Mrs. India – Pride of Nation 2019.
- PT Usha, India’s former athlete and Olympian, has been awarded the prestigious International International Association of Athletics Federation (IAAF) Veteran Pin Award.
- Canada’s Margaret Atwood(for The Testament) and Britain’s Bernardine Evaristo (for ‘Girl, Woman, Other’) have been named the joint winners of the 2019 Booker Prize.
- Jasprit Bumrah and Smriti Mandhana win Wisden India Almanack Cricketer of the Year award 2019.
- Azizbek Ashurov, a lawyer, was honoured as the 2019 Nansen Refugee Award Laureate for his outstanding 16-year commitment to ending statelessness in Kyrgyzstan.
- Noted lawyer Shri K. Parasaran honoured with Most Eminent Senior Citizen Award.
- Divina from Cameroon and Greta from Sweden have been awarded the International Children’s Peace Prize 2019.
- Kerala’s nun Mariam thresia receives the title of ‘Saint’, 93 years after her death.
- The 28th Vyas Samman for the year 2018 was conferred on noted Hindi poet and writer Leeladhar Jagoori for his poetry collection ‘Jitne Log Utne Prem’.
- Indian journalist Neha Dixit wins 29th International Press Freedom Award 2019 for reports on sex trafficking.
- Eminent Malayalam poet Achuthan Namboodri has been chosen for 55th Jnanpith Award for the year 2019.
- Virat Kohli named PETA(People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) India’s Person of the Year 2019.
- Sweden young climate activist Greta Thunberg is Time Person of the Year for 2019.
- Documentary on Real Kashmir Football Club bags ‘BAFTA Scotland’ Awards 2019.
- Swachh Survekshan Grameen Awards 2019
- Top 3 States– 1) Tamil Nadu, 2) Haryana, 3) Gujarat
- Top 3 Districts– 1) Peddapalli (Telangana), 2) Faridabad (Haryana), 3) Rewari (Haryana)
- State with Maximum Citizen Participation– Uttar Pradesh
- The Indira Gandhi Peace Prize 2019 has been awarded to renowned naturalist and broadcaster David Attenborough best known for his BBC nature documentaries.
- Oxford Dictionaries has declared ‘climate emergency’ as the word of the year 2019.
- Complete list of the winners of Nobel Prize 2019:
Physiology or Medicine
William G. Kaelin (USA)
For their discoveries of how cells sense and adapt to oxygen availability
Sir Peter J. Ratcliffe (United Kingdom)
Gregg L. Semenza (USA)
James Peebles (Canada)
For theoretical discoveries in physical cosmology
Michel Mayor (Switzerland)
For the discovery of an exoplanet orbiting a solar-type star
Didier Queloz (Switzerland)
John B. Goodenough (Germany)
For the development of lithium-ion batteries
M. Stanley Whittingham (United Kingdom)
Akira Yoshino (Japan)
Olga Tokarczuk (Poland)
For a narrative imagination that with encyclopaedic passion represents the crossing of boundaries as a form of life
Peter Handke (Austria)
For an influential work that with linguistic ingenuity has explored the periphery and the specificity of human experience
Abiy Ahmed Ali (Ethiopia)
For his efforts to achieve peace and international cooperation
Abhijit Banerjee (India)
For their experimental approach to alleviating global poverty
Esther Duflo (France)
Michael Kremer (USA)
- The European Parliament has awarded the Sakharov Prize to Uighur intellectual Ilham Tohti.
- Environmentalist Chandi Prasad was awarded Indira Gandhi Award for National Integration for the years 2017 and 2018 for his services in promoting and preserving national integration in the country.
- The 1996-batch Indian Forest Service officer Ramesh Pandey has been selected for the Asia Environmental Enforcement Award by the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP).
- IT major Infosys has received the United Nations Global Climate Action Award in the ‘Climate Neutral Now’ category.
- Bangladeshi Nobel Laureate Professor Muhammad Yunus has conferred the ‘Lamp of Peace of Saint Francis’ award.
- Maldives confer Nishan Izzuddin’ award on Prime Minister Narendra Modi. It is the highest award to honor foreign nationals.
- Former foreign secretary Shyam Saran will be conferred with Japan’s second-highest national award, ‘Order of the Rising Sun, Gold and Silver Star’.
- Former ISRO chairman A S Kiran Kumar was conferred with France’s highest civilian honor, Chevalier de l’Ordre national de la Legion d’Honneur, for his contribution to India-France space cooperation.
- Sahitya Akademi Award Winners List 2019:
- English – Shashi Tharoor for his book ‘An Era of Darkness: The British Empire in India’.
- Hindi – Nandkishore Acharya for his collection of poems ‘Peelte Apne Ko’.
- Bengali – Chinmoy Guha for his essays ‘Ghumer Darja Thele’.
- South Africa’s Zozibini Tunzi crowned Miss Universe 2019.
- Toni-Ann Singh from Jamaica won the Miss World 2019.
- Suman Rao from Rajasthan has won the Femina Miss India World 2019 beauty pageant.
- United Nations declares Pakistani activist Malala yousafzai as the most famous teenager of the decade.