Most important 600+ January to June 2019 topic wise Current Affairs one-liners. This will be very useful for upcoming exams: State PSC, SSC, Banking and Insurance exams
- Important National Affairs
- Important International Affairs
- Important Appointments
- Important Books & Authors
- Important Science & Technology In News
- Important Defence In News
- Important Joint Military Exercises
- Important Sport Affairs
- Important Summits and Conferences
- Important Awards And Recognitions
- Important Brand and Campaign Ambassadors
- Important Environment in News
- Important Economy in News
- Important Govt. Schemes
- Important Rank & Index
- Miscellaneous Affairs
Important National Affairs
- Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi approved 10% quota in jobs and educational institutions for economically weaker sections in general category. For the implementation of the quota, Articles 15 and 16 of the Constitution will have to be amended.
- Andhra Pradesh got a separate high court. With the creation of the new high court, the country now has 25 high courts.
- Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister inaugurated India’s longest 300-meter single- lane steel cable suspension bridge also known as Byorung Bridge over Siang River in Upper Siang district.
- Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister, Pema Khandu declared Pakke Paga Hornbill Festival (PPHF) as the “State Festival”.
- Gujarat becomes the first state to implement 10% quota to Economically Weaker sections (EWS) of general category in educational institutions and government jobs.
- The third bridge was inaugurated in Goa. The bridge has been named as ‘Atal Setu’ after former prime minister of India late Atal Bihari Vajpayee.
- Civil Aviation minister launched the country’s first Geographical Indication (GI) store at Dabolim International Airport in Goa.
- The Jammu and Kashmir Law Department set up a State law commission, for three years, under the chairmanship of Justice (Retd) M K Hanjura.
- The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) launched a new platform named “Samwad with Students” (SwS) as part of the enhanced outreach programme and to engage youngsters across India to capture their scientific temperament in Bengaluru.
- Kerala women form 620-km long ‘wall’ to uphold gender equality against Sabarimala protests.
- Kerala launched country’s largest start-up ecosystem, integrated start-up complex measuring 1.8 lakh sq ft. under the Kerala Start-up Mission (KSUM), at the Technology Innovation Zone (TIZ), in Kochi, Kerala.
- The Union Government to set up the Centre for Classical Language at the Thunchath Ezhuthachan Malayalam University in Tirur, Kerala.
- Madhya Pradesh Government announced that it is going to create an Adhyatmik Vibhag (spiritual department) by merging several existing department.
- Nashik in Maharashtra will be the site of the country’s second defence innovation hub after Coimbatore in Tamil Nadu.
- India’s first National Museum of Indian Cinema opened in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
- Union Petroleum Minister launched the Ujjwala Sanitary Napkin initiative in Bhubaneswar, Odisha to provide access to hygiene products and employment to opportunities in every district of the state.
- Odisha state govt, launched a scheme, for overall development of small, marginal and landless farmers, dubbed as ‘The Krushak Assistance for Livelihood and Income Augmentation (KALIA)’ scheme.
- Three-day 6th ‘Women of India Organic Festival’ by WCD Ministry held in Chandigarh for the first time to Promote Women Farmers.
- Sikkim will become first state to roll out Universal Basic Income.
- Sikkim CM launched ‘One Family, One Job’ scheme in Rojgar Mela 2019 to give one state government job to one family.
- Secunderabad Railway Station, the first Railway station to hoist Tricolour National flag on a 100 feet tall pole under Railway’s order.
- Telangana to set up ‘Save Tiger Protection Force’.
- Tripura’s chief minister launched the logo ‘Neer Mahal’ for Tripura’s tea in Agartala which would enhances its popularity all over the world.
- Deen Dayal Veterinary University in Uttar Pradesh proposed to set up the first goat fertility lab in the state under Rastriya Krashi Vikas Yojna.
- The 15th Pravasi Bharatiya Divas was commenced in Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh. Prime Minister of Mauritius, Mr. Pravind Jugnauth was the chief Guest of Convention. The theme of this year’s Pravasi Bharatiya Diwas (PBD) convention was “Role of Indian Diaspora in building New India”
- A government appointed panel headed by IIT- Hyderabad chairman B V R Mohan Reddy has suggested to the All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) to stop setting up new engineering colleges from 2020 and review the creation of new capacity every two years after that.
- Veer Savarkar International Airport in Port Blair declared as an authorized Immigration Check post.
- Indian Forest Service to be renamed as Indian Forest and Tribal Service.
- Andaman to be First Island to operate seaplanes under UDAN-3.
- President of India gives assent to The Constitution 103rd Amendment ACT, 2019 which grants 10% reservation in jobs and educational institutions to the economically weaker sections in the general category.
- Train 18 which is India’s first indigenously developed engineless semi high speed train has been named as Vande Bharat Express. The Train will run between Delhi and Varanasi at the maximum speed of 160 kmph.
- United Arab Emirates (UAE) based international cooling provider, National Central Cooling Company PJSC (Tabreed) entered into a 30-year concession with Andhra Pradesh Capital Region Development Authority (APCRDA) to build India’s first district cooling system in Amaravati, Andhra Pradesh.
- Bihar has become the first state to deploy specially-trained dogs to check smuggling of liquor.
- Himachal Pradesh became the second state to adopt Sanskrit as the second official language of the state after Uttarakhand.
- The Jammu & Kashmir Government declared Ladakh as the third administrative division of the state. The division will comprise Leh and Kargil districts, with Leh as the division’s headquarters.
- Jharkhand government has prohibited the Popular Front of India (PFI) in the state to prevent its anti-national tasks and activities, and for keeping alleged association with terror outfits like ISIS.
- Kerala became the first state to set up watchdog, “price monitoring and research unit (PMRU)”, to track violation of prices of essential drugs and medical devices.
- Second edition of World Count festival 2019 was held in Pune, Maharashtra.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi dedicated to the nation the National War Memorial (NWM) near India Gate in New Delhi which commemorates the soldiers who participated and made the supreme sacrifice in Peacekeeping Missions and Counter Insurgency Operations.
- Odisha govt. approved Khusi scheme aimed at improving menstrual hygiene among adolescent girl students of Class 6 to 9 studying in government and non-government aided schools in the state.
- Indus River Dolphin declared as Punjab’s State aquatic animal.
- Tamil Nadu Governor Banwarilal Purohit inaugurated the second Coast Guard district headquarters at Thoothukudi, Tamil Nadu. Tamil Nadu is the first state in India to get a second Coast Guard district headquarters. The first district headquarters is Chennai.
- 325 children including 11 girls have been rescued in Hyderabad under “Operation Smile” which was launched on 1st January 2019.
- Taj Mahal, Agra Fort and Qutub Minar are among the top 10 Revenue Generating Monuments for 2015-2018. The other monuments in the list are Ellora caves, Sun Temple in Konark, Mamallapuram monuments, Khajuraho monuments, Ajanta caves in Aurangabad, Red Fort.
- Union Railway Minister announced a new railway zone for Andhra Pradesh, that is the Southern Coast Railway and it will be headquartered in Visakhapatnam. It will be the 18th zone in the country.
- Shah Faesal, 2010 batch civil servant who had resigned from his post this year, launched his political party ‘Jammu and Kashmir Peoples’ Movement’(JKPM) in Jammu and Kashmir. Party slogan – “Ab Hawah Badlegi’ (Now winds will change directions)”
- The 79th Indian History Congress (IHC) was held at Barkatullah University in Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh.
- The first HIV (Human Immunodeficiency Virus) treatment centre and holistic clinic for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ) launched by Humsafar trust in Mumbai, Maharashtra
- The second joint logistics node of tri-services has become operational at naval base in Mumbai, Maharashtra to enhancing interoperability, improve maintenance of military assets and provide logistical support to all the defence services. In 2018, the first joint logistics node (JLN) consisting of the three services was set up at Andaman and Nicobar Islands
- The first ever Space Dialogue of India and Japan was held in New Delhi.
- Thanga Darlong, a musician from Tripura was awarded with the first Atal Behari Vajpayee Life Time Award at the 37th Agartala Book Fair in Agartala, Tripura.
- Tripura has been ranked at second place in India, in terms of child marriages among girls between the age of 15 and 19 years, according to a report released by the National Family Health Survey (NFHS)
- Japan announces an investment worth Rs. 22 lakh for Rabindra Bharati Museum, Kolkata.
- As per Monster Salary Index (MSI) Survey, a high gender pay gap (GPG) is observed in India, as women earn 19% less than men.
- Justice Vikram Nath appointed as the first Chief Justice of new Andhra Pradesh High Court at Amaravati.
- Haryana Chief Electoral Officer inaugurated India’s first-of-its-kind ‘Voter Park’ in Vikas Sadan building complex, Gurugram.
- India’s First Foreign Interactive Bird Park launched by Essel World in Mumbai.
- Chennai Central railway station has been renamed by the Tamil Nadu State Government as Puratchi Thalaivar Dr MG Ramachandran Central Railway Station after it’s late Chief Minister and founder of Chennai’s ruling govt, All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (AIADMK), Dr. MG Ramachandran.
- Justice Thottathil Bhaskaran Nair Radhakrishnan sworn-in as the new Chief Justice of Calcutta High Court.
- Jhulan Goswami, former captain of India national women’s cricket team, awarded the “Sportsperson of the Year” honor at the Calcutta Sports Journalists’ club annual awards function 2019 held at Kolkata, West Bengal.
- The Geological Survey of India (GSI) in its report notified that the highest graphite reserves of India, that is, around 35% of India’s total Graphite reserves are found in Arunachal Pradesh.
- Karnataka Government limits the weight of school bags not more than 10% of the child’s weight.
- Kerala became the first state to tap into masala bond in overseas market by listing the Kerala Infrastructure Investment Fund Board (KIIFB)’s masala bond worth of USD 312 million (Rs 2,150 crore) in London Stock Exchange
- Delhi High court passed a judgment in Sanjaya Bahel v. Union of India & Others that United Nations Organization (UNO) is not a State under Article 12 of the Indian Constitution.
- India’s first Tree Ambulance initiated in Chennai by Green man of India, Dr K Abdul Ghani.
- Telangana has released a draft blockchain policy to set up country’s first ‘Blockchain District’ in Hyderabad.
- Central government has decided to merge two institutions the Central Statistical Organisation (CSO) and the National Sample Survey Office (NSSO) to create new statistical body National Statistical Office (NSO) under Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation (MoSPI).
- Central Government has permitted to set up e-Foreigner Tribunal (e-FT) in Assam. It is a quasijudicial authority which assesses the question of the authenticity of a person’s citizenship. It should be set up by July 31, 2019, when the final list of National Register of Citizens (NRC) is published. The Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of e-FT Mission is Anand Prakash Tiwari.
- In Bihar, 160 children have lost their lives due to Acute Encephalitis Syndrome (AES) and heat wave. The total toll due to AES and heat wave has been pegged at 104 and 56 respectively. The toxic substance in lychee causes Acute Encephalitis Syndrome (AES), locally known as Chamki Bukhar, which is a form of brain fever that happens due to the inflammation of the brain.
- India & Portugal to set up National Maritime Heritage Museum in Lothal.
- Viral Sudhirbhai Desai, a young entrepreneur from surat launched an initiative to change Udhana railway station in Gujarat into India’s first green and clean railway station like Mumbai’s Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus.
- The Haryana High court (HC) declared the entire animal kingdom, including avian and aquatic, as a legal entity having rights of a living person. The verdict of Punjab and Haryana HC comes a year after Uttarakhand HC passed similar order to protect and promote greater welfare of animals.
- Bancha in Betul district of Madhya Pradesh became the first solar kitchen only village in India.
- Punjab Chief Minister Amarinder Singh has requested Prime Minister Narendra Modi to declare the 550th Guru Nanak Prakash Purab as National Tolerance Day cited the Sikhism founder’s message of love and compassion.
- World’s largest multi-stage, multi-purpose scheme Kaleshwaram Lift Irrigation Project inaugurated in Telangana.
- West Bengal introduces free crop insurance scheme Bangla Shashya Bima for farmers.
- A recent study based on the National Sample Survey Organization (NSSO) data, India has 20.6 health workers per 10,000 people. This is less than the World health Organization’s (WHO) minimum overreach of 22.8 per 10,000 people.
- The Election Commission of India granted the National party status to National People’s Party(NPP) led by Meghalaya Chief Minister Conrad K. Sangma. It becomes the first Party from North East region to get this tag. With this tag, it becomes the eighth national party in the country among All India Trinamool Congress, Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), BSP, CPI, Communist Party of India (Marxist), Indian National Congress (INC) and NCP parties.
- The National Institution for Transforming India (NITI) Aayog, think tank of the government, has proposed that only Electric Vehicles (EVs) should be sold after 2030.
Important International Affairs
- USA and Israel officially quit the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) amid concerns that the organization fosters anti-Israel bias.
- Pakistan’s Provincial Government declares Panj Tirath Hindu religious site as national heritage.
- China passed a law to make Islam compatible with socialism and ‘sinicize’ it within the next five years. The law was passed after Chinese government officials met representatives from eight Islamic groups.
- The World Economic Forum (WEF) released a survey ahead of its annual meeting which states that Indians are biggest supporters of international aid. 95 percent of Indians supported international aid and expect India to help other nations.
- Pakistan government declared sugarcane juice as the “national drink” of the country.
- Dubai International (DXB) airport became the world’s busiest airport for international passengers for the fifth consecutive year in 2018.
- As per ECA international survey, Singapore comes out as the most liveable location for Asian expatriates for the 14th year from the list of 480 location.
- Siamese Fighting Fish become the National Aquatic Animal of Thailand
- Macedonia signed an accord, to become the 30th member of the NATO military alliance.
- Hindi becomes the third high court language in Abu Dhabi
- India Withdrawn ‘Most Favoured Nation’ Status from Pakistan. It was in 1996 India granted MFN status to Pakistan.
- A state of emergency was declared in Sudan by its President Omar al-Bashir. It was due to continuous protests by the general public since 19 December who was furious by the mismanagement of the nation’s economy and wanted the leader to step down.
- Afghanistan began exporting to India through the Chabahar port in Iran, for the first time by bypassing the Pakistan route.
- Malaysia became a member of the International Criminal Court (ICC), the worlds only permanent war crimes court which aims to prosecute the worst abuses when national courts are unable or unwilling. Malaysia is the 124th member of the court since its establishment in 2002.
- Kazakhstan renames its capital Astana as Nursultan after ex-president
- World’s largest e-waste recycling hub opened at the Dubai Industrial Park, Dubai
- Tesla has developed its ‘largest power storage system in Asia’ at Osaka train station in Japan to reduce energy demand and provide emergency backup power to trains in Japan.
- The European Parliament has banned the single-use plastic cutlery, cotton buds, straws and stirrers that despoils beaches and pollutes oceans.
- Following the 1400 years old tradition, Japan’s government has unveiled an era name, “Reiwa,” or “pursuing harmony,” for soon-to-be Emperor Naruhito. The names change occurs when anew emperor takes the throne. The new era to begin on May 1, will succeed the “Heisei” era (1989-2019) of Emperor Akihito.
- London became the first city in the world to implement an Ultra Low Emission Zone for 24×7 hours a week, inside which vehicles will have to meet tough emissions standards. This zone aims to reduce toxic air pollution and protect public health
- Google’s Wing launches its first commercial drone delivery service in Australia
- India’s Haj Quota has been increased by about 25,000, raising the number to 2 lakh from 1.75 lakh by Saudi Arabia.
- Amartya Sen Chairs at the London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE) for research on inequality
- Indonesia released a special stamp on the theme of Ramayana to mark the 70th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic ties between India and Indonesia.
- India to be Guest of Honour country at 29th Abu Dhabi International Book Fair.
- UAE based Etihad Airways becomes the first major airline to operate a plastic-free flight
- The UK Parliament becomes the first national government to pass an Environment and Climate Emergency
- The rare monkey-pox virus, for the first time, reported in Singapore
- Australian flight carrier, Qantas operated the world’s first zero-waste flight
- Taiwan becomes the first country in Asia to legalize same-sex marriage
- UAE launched ‘golden card’ permanent residency scheme
- WHO has declared Algeria and Argentina as malaria-free countries
- India has been elected to Executive Board of first UN-Habitat Assembly
- Puerto Williams in Chile has become the southernmost city in the world after getting its status upgraded to city category. Previously, the southernmost city was Ushuaia in Argentina.
- The African Union (AU) Peace and Security Council has announced that it has suspended Sudan’s participation in all AU activities until the productive establishment of Civilian Government in the country.
- To mark the 150th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi, the Indian Embassy organized the ‘Gandhi Cycle Rally for Peace’, in Saudi Arabia.
- India has been designated as the guest country in the 33rd Feria Internacional del Libro de Guadalajara (Guadalajara International Book Fair), in Mexico.
- Facebook confirmed the launch of cryptocurrency ‘Libra’ in 2020
- India extended $15 million grant to Niger to organize the AU summit
- Ireland plans to ban the sale of petrol and diesel cars from 2030
- Saudi Arabia became the first Arab country to get FATF(Financial Action Task Force) membership
- Bangladesh’s first iron ore mine discovered in Dinajpur.
- Sanjay Jain – Additional Solicitor General
- Sudhir Bhargava – Chief information commissioner
- Thottathil Bhaskaran Nair Radhakrishnan – Chief Justice of Telangana High Court
- P.K Singh – Secretary of Competition Commission of India (CCI)
- Ajit Mohan – Vice President and MD of Facebook India
- Saurabh Kumar – Chairman of Ordnance Factory Board (OFB)
- Vikram Misri – Ambassador of India to China
- Sunjay Sudhir – Ambassador of India to the Maldives
- Manu Sawhney – CEO of International Cricket Council (ICC)
- Asif Saeed Khosa – Chief Justice of Pakistan
- Gita Gopinath – Chief economist(11th) International Monetary Fund (IMF)
- Suman Kumari – Civil judge of Pakistan(She became the first Hindu woman to be appointed as a civil judge in Pakistan)
- Sultan Abdullah – King of Malaysia
- Shri Pranav R Mehta – President of Global Solar Council (GSC), USA (He is dubbed as the Solar Man of India)
- Nicolas Maduro – President of Venezuela
- Jair Bolsonaro – President of Brazil
- Su Tseng-chang – Prime Minister of Taiwan
- Stefan Lofven – Prime Minister of Sweden
- Dr.Poonam Khetrapal Singh – Regional Director of World Health Organization southeast Asia
- Sanjiv Ranjan – Ambassador of India to the Republic of Colombia
- B.S. Mubarak – Ambassador of India to the Republic of Honduras
- Dinesh Bhatia – Ambassador of India to the Republic of Argentina
- Sanjay Kumar Verma – Ambassador of India to Republic of Marshall Islands
- Ruchira Kamboj – Ambassador of India to Bhutan
- Punit Goenka – Chairman of BARC India
- Pramod Chandra Mody – Chairman of Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT)
- Rishi K Shukla – Director of Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI)
- Sushil Chandra – Election Commissioner of India
- J. Srinivasa – High Commissioner of India to the Cooperative Republic of Guyana
- Justice D K Jain – Ombudsman of Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI)
- Ajay Singh – President of AIBA (International Boxing Association)
- Indra Nooyi – Board of Directors of Amazon
- Abdel Fattah El Sisi – Chairman of African Union
- Nayib Bukele – President of El Salvador
- Muhammadu Buhari – President of Nigeria
- Mohamed Tahir Ayala – Prime Minister of Sudan
- Pranay Kumar Verma – Ambassador of India to the Republic of Vietnam
- Dr. Ausaf Sayeed – Ambassador of India to Saudi Arabia
- Manpreet Vohra – Ambassador of India to Mexico
- Kishan Dan Dewal – Ambassador of India to the Republic of Mauritius
- Santosh Jha – Ambassador of India to the Republic of Uzbekistan
- Shambhu S Kumaran – Ambassador of India to the Kingdom of Morocco
- Abhay Thakur – Ambassador of India to the Republic of Benin
- Bhagwan Lal Sahni – Chairman of National Commission for Backward Classes (NCBC)
- M.R.Kumar – Chairman of Life Insurance Corporation (LIC)
- Karambir Singh – Chief of Naval Staff of Indian Navy
- Pramod Sawant – Chief Minister(13th) of Goa
- Ajit Kumar Mohanty – Director of Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC)
- Subhash Chandra Garg – Finance Secretary of India
- Ms. Padmaja – High Commissioner of India to the Republic of Fiji
- Pinaki Chandra Ghose – Lokpal or the anticorruption ombudsman(First) of India
- Anil Kumble – Chairman of ICC (International Cricket Council) Cricket Committee
- Soumya Swaminathan – Chief Scientist of the World Health Organisation (WHO)
- Juha Sipila – Prime Minister of Finland
- Mahmoud Abbas – Prime Minister of Palestine
- Krishna Kumari Kohli – Senator of Pakistan (First Female and She is also the first Thari Hindu woman to be elected to the Pakistan senate)
- Keshav Murugesh – Chairman of NASSCOM
- Mayoori Kango – Industry of head Google India
- Vipin Anand – Managing Director Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC)
- Vikram Kirloskar – President Confederation of Indian Industry(CII)
- Jaideep Sarkar – High Commissioner of India to Republic of South Africa
- Dalbir Singh Suhag – High Commissioner of India to the Republic of Seychelles
- Praful Patel – Member of FIFA Executive Council
- Davis Malpass – President of World bank
- Volodymyr Oleksandrovych Zelensky – President of Ukraine
- Benjamin Netanyahu – Prime Minister of Israel
- Mohammed Ishtayeh – Prime Minister of Palestine
- Jagan Mohan Reddy(YSR Congress) – Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh
- Prem Singh Tamang – Chief Minister of Sikkim
- Pema Khandu – Chief Minister of Arunachal Pradesh
- Mueenul Haq – High Commissioner of Pakistan to India
- Kumar Sangakkara – President of Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC)
- Cyril Ramaphosa – President of South Africa
- Joko Widodo – President of Indonesia
- Volodymyr Zelenskiy – President of Ukraine
- Scott Morrison – Prime Minister of Australia
- James Marape – Prime Minister of Papua New Guinea
- Arvind Kumar – Chief of Intelligence Bureau (IB)
- Samant Kumar Goel – Chief of Research and Analysis Wing(RAW)
- Sanjay Mitra – Defence Secretary of India
- Krishnaswamy Natarajan – Director General of Indian Coast Guard (ICG)
- Padmanabha Balakrishna Acharya – Governor of Manipur
- Thawar Chand Gehlot – Leader of Rajya Sabha
- Ajit Doval – National security Advisor (NSA) of India
- Nripendra Misra – Principal Secretary of Prime Minister Narendra Modi
- Om Birla – Speaker of 17th Lok Sabha
- Virendra Kumar – Pro-tem Speaker of 17th Lok Sabha
- Pradeep Kumar Sinha – Cabinet Secretary of India
- Qu Dongyu – Director-General of the United Nation’s Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO)
- Inger Andersen – Executive Director of United Nations Environment Programme’s (UNEP)
- Rajiv Mehrishi – External Auditor of World Health Organization (WHO)
- Romila Thapar – International member of American Philosophical Society
- Gianni Infantino – President of Federation Internationale de Football Association (FIFA)
- Nayib Bukele – President of El Salvador
- Prayuth Chan-Ocha – Prime Minister of Thailand
Important Books and Authors
- A Crusade Against Corruption – Manohar Manoj
- We Are Displaced – Malala Yousafzai
- New Brazilian Poems – Abhay Kumar
- Let’s Talk On Air: Conversations with Radio Presenters – Rakesh Anand Bakshi
- Undaunted: Saving the Idea of India – P Chidambaram
- Simplicity & Wisdom – Dinesh Shahra
- The Fate of Butterflies – Nayantara Sahgal
- Designing Destiny: The Heartfulness Way – Kamlesh Patel famously known as Daaji
- Indian Fiscal Federalism – Dr. Y.V. Reddy and G.R. Reddy
- “#Modi Again: Why Modi is right for India, An ExCommunist’s Manifesto” – Aabhas Maldahiyar
- “Saffron Swords: Centuries of Indic Resistance to Invaders” – Manoshi Sinha Rawal
- “Diary of an Awesome Friendly Kid: Rowley Jefferson’s Journal” – Jeff Kinney
- Khooni Vaisakhi – Mr. Suri
- Politics of Jugaad: The Coalition Handbook – Journalist Saba Naqvi
- Game Changer – Shahid Afridi
- Coming Round the Mountain – Ruskin Bond
- Naxal movement in West Bengal – Nabaneeta Dev Sen
- Darkness to light – Lamar Odom
- Digital Dilemma – Milt Shelton and Andy Maltz
- ‘My Life, My Mission’ – Baba Ramdev
- Lessons Life Taught Me, Unknowingly – Anupam Kher
- The New Delhi Conspiracy – Meenakshi Lekhi
- A Prime Minister to Remember- Memories of a Military Chief – Sushil Kumar
Important Science & Technology in News
- Scientists at Indian Institute of Technology, Guwahati have developed a simple paper kit that can test the freshness of milk and tell how well it has been pasteurized.
- US scientists successfully launched a telescope from Antarctica that analyses X-rays arriving from distant neutron stars, black holes
- Lunar rover Yutu-2 or Jade Rabbit-2 of the Chang’e-4 spacecraft made the first-ever soft landing on the far side of the moon. It follows a homegrown Chinese Global Positioning System named BeiDou Navigation Satellite System.
- IIT-Madras team created ‘space fuel’ by trapping carbon dioxide in crystalline form with the help of water molecules.
- The Chennai Traffic Police introduced a road safety robot named ROADEO, to help in traffic management and assist citizens.
- World’s first television channel dedicated to human rights was launched in London by the International Observatory of Human Rights (IOHR).
- The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) has released the Teledensity data of India which stated that the total number of mobile phone subscribers in India was 1,031.28 million during the month of November 2018. The overall Tele-density in India climbed to 91.21% at the end of Nov-18.
- Union Culture Minister inaugurated India’s very first ‘Fulldome 3D Digital Theatre’ at the Science City in Kolkata, West Bengal.
- AntBot is the first walking robot to have navigational capabilities without GPS or mapping. It has been designed by the French National Centre for Scientific Research (CNRS) and Aix-Marseille University researchers at ISM.
- Chennai got its first Drainage-cleaning robot, Bandicoot
- Kerala Chief Minister inaugurated India’s first Humanoid Police Robot named KP-BOT, ranked as Sub-Inspector (SI), at the Police Headquarters in Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala.
- Chinese news agency Xinhua unveiled the world’s first female AI news anchor Xin Xiaomeng.
- US defense firm, Lockheed Martin, unveiled the F-21 multi-role fighter jet at Asia’s biggest air show Aero India-2019, which will be manufactured in India, under Prime Minister Narendra Modi‘s flagship program ‘Make in India’.
- Bengaluru based semiconductor company “SIGNALCHIP” unveiled India’s first Indigenous Semiconductor Chips for 4G/LTE and 5G NR MODEMs
- Methane Hydrate Discovered in K-G Basin off Andhra Pradesh Coast
- T.N. declared to be the first state to introduce TAVI(Tran catheter Aortic Valve Implantation ) in the government hospital
- Microsoft developed a storage device in partnership with the University of Washington that can translate digital information into DNA.
- Oslo, Norway to become the first city in the world to introduce Wireless Electric Car Charging Stations
- China’s Shanghai claimed to have the world’s first district with 5G coverage and a broadband gigabit network. It has conducted trial runs of the 5G network in Shanghai’s Hongkou district.
- South Korea has unveiled the world’s first nationwide 5G mobile networks. This has made South Korea to be the first providers of the super-fast wireless technology.
- Google has launched a new open platform named ‘Anthos’ to run and manage apps from anywhere. It helps the users to manage workloads running on third-party clouds like Microsoft Azure and Amazon AWS
- Astronomers Captured the First Image of a Black Hole which was a halo of dust and gas, tracing the outline of a colossal black hole at the center of the galaxy M87 (Messier 87) with the help of The Event Horizon Telescope (EHT) observations. Black holes were first predicted by Einstein’s theory of relativity.
- The world’s largest airplane a Strato launch’s behemoth named “Roc” has made its first test flight in California, over the Mojave Desert.
- The world’s first armed amphibious drone boat named “Marine Lizard”, which is guided by China’s BeiDou Navigation Satellite System has been successfully tested by China.
- Researchers at the University of Wisconsin-Madison in the US have manufactured a tiny spectrometer that can be used in smartphone-sized devices to identify dangerous chemicals based on a unique “fingerprint” of emitted and absorbed light.
- The world’s first malaria vaccine RTS, S is also known as Mosquirix has launched in Malawi, one of three countries in Africa in a landmark pilot program coordinated by the World Health Organisation (WHO).
- Japanese scientists have successfully created the first-ever artificial crater on an asteroid, which gave some clue on how the solar system evolved.
- Researchers at Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi, have developed an ultrasensitive quantum thermometer by using graphene quantum dots.
- A Japanese aerospace start-up Interstellar Technology Inc. has successfully launched a first privately developed rocket ‘Momo-3’ into space.
- U.S. Department of Energy‘s Lawrence Berkeley National Lab in California created a new 100% recyclable plastic named Polydiketoenamine (PDK).
- The US Space Agency announced that the National Aeronautics and Space Organization (NASA) is set for its Mission to Moon “Artemis” which is to be achieved by 2024.
- A microprocessor named ‘AJIT’ developed by IIT Bombay.
- Samsung launched the world’s Highest Resolution Image Sensor.
- Public service broadcaster, Doordarshan has partnered with online retail giant Amazon India to launch a Souvenir Store.
- Nepal banned the use of Chinese digital wallets Alipay and WeChat
- The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO)’s Chairman K. Sivan flagged off the shipment of India’s largest liquid hydrogen storage tank at the VRV Asia Pacific’s manufacturing plant at Sri City in Chittoor district of Andhra Pradesh.
- ISRO’s new commercial arm ‘New Space India Limited inaugurated in Bengaluru
- Russia launched the world’s largest nuclear-powered icebreaker ‘Ural’ at the Baltic Shipyard in St Petersburg in order to improve its ability to tap the Arctic’s commercial potential.
- Facebook’s crypto-currency “GlobalCoin” will launch in 2020
- For the first time, China launched “Long March 11 rocket “, a rocket to space from a ship at sea
- For the first time, researchers at Ohio State University have created high-resolution maps of points around the globe where groundwater meets the oceans.
- The Chairman of Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) K Sivan announced that India will have its own Space station by 2030.
- Sri Lanka launched its first satellite ‘Ravana-1’ into orbit
- National Aeronautics and Space Administration’s (NASA) Astrobee Robot “Bumble” became the first Astrobee robot to fly under its own power in space.
Important Defense in News
- India-Myanmar bilateral army exercise, IMBEX 2018-19 held in Chandimandir
- Indian Air Force AN-32 transport aircraft landed on the Sikkim’s first airport and one of the highest air-field of the country, Pakyong Airport.
- The Northeast Railway sector has launched a dedicated woman squad ‘JYOTI BAHINI’ to enhance the security of women in the railway station and trains. This has been launched in Kamkhya station of Guwahati.
- India Africa Field Training Exercise (IAFTX) 2019 to be held in Pune
- Israel successfully tested the Arrow 3 missile system from Central Israel; it is done in collaboration with American Missile Defense Agency.
- Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman launched a series of projects as a part of the Tamil Nadu Defence Industrial Corridor in Tiruchirappalli. This is considered to be the second corridor succeeding the one launched in Aligarh, Uttar Pradesh.
- Iran successfully tested the Hoveizeh- Long-Range Surface to Surface Missile from Tehran, Iran.
- Pakistan successfully tested the Nasr – short-range surface-to-surface ballistic missile.
- Tejas Networks Launches World’s First Ultra-Converged Broadband Product At Mobile World Congress, Barcelona
- Indian Coast Guard Ship ‘Vijit’ became the first-ever Coast Guard ship to visit Sabang, Indonesia, highlighting the close maritime proximity between India and Indonesia
- The 70 MW ‘Akademik Lomonosov’ was the world’s first floating nuclear power plant successfully tested by Rosenergoatom, operator subsidiary of Rosatom, state-owned atomic energy cooperation of Russia.
- After 36 years of service, Indian Navy’s frontline missile destroyer, INS Ranjit has been decommissioned at the naval dockyard in Visakhapatnam.
- The Chief of Naval Staff, Admiral Sunil Lanba inaugurated Indian Navy’s first full-fledged Service Selection Board (SSB) at Diamond Harbour, near Kolkata. This is the fifth SSB- Service Selection Board of the Indian Navy.
- Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO) has successfully conducted the flight test of ABHYAS, a High-speed Expendable Aerial Target (HEAT) drone which is to be used for autonomous flying with the help of an autopilot.
- Tech Mahindra signed defence contract with Indian Navy
- The armies of India and Myanmar carried out a three-week-long coordinated operation from May 16 in their respective border areas named ‘Operation Sunrise 2’. They targeted the militant groups operating in Manipur, Nagaland, and Assam to bust terror camps.
- Balakot airstrikes code named as ‘Operation Bandar’ by IAF
- India Navy launched “Operation Sankalp” in the Gulf of Oman. It is to recheck Indian flagged vessels operating through the Persian Gulf and Gulf of Oman following the maritime incidents in the region.
Important Joint Military Exercises
- Exercise Rahat – Joint Humanitarian Assistance and Disaster Relief Exercise (Indian Army) hold in Jaipur, Rajasthan
- Exercise Topchi – Indian army demonstrated its artillery firepower, aviation and surveillance capacity, held in Nashik, Maharashtra
- Exercise ‘Vayu Shakti’ – Indian Air Force conducted the mega exercise. Advanced Light Helicopter (ALP) and the Akash surface-to-air missile were deployed in military exercise for the first time at Pokhran, Rajasthan
- Mainamati Maitree Exercise 2019 – India’s BSF and Bangladesh’s Border Guards Bangladesh(BGB), hold in Agartala, Tripura
- Sampriti-2019 – India, and Bangladesh(Army), hold in Tangail, Bangladesh
- Red Flag 2019 – Air forces from the United States, the United Arab Emirates, Belgium, the Netherlands, Singapore and Saudi Arabia, held in US
- Exercise Al Nagah III – India and Oman, hold in Jabel Al Akhdar Mountains in Oman
- AFINDEX-19 – Indian Army and 16 African nations, held in Pune, Maharashtra
- MITRA SHAKTI – VI – Indian and Sri Lanka Army, held in Diyatalawa in Sri Lanka
- AUSINDEX 19 – India & Australia military exercise, held in Vishakhapatnam, India
- African Lion 2019 – Morocco and US, held in Marcco
- Bold Kurukshetra–2019 – India and Singapore, hold in Jhansi’s Babina Cantonment, Uttar Pradesh, India
- Varuna 19.2 – India and France, held in Djibouti
- Bull Strike – Indian Army, Indian Navy and Indian Air Force, hold in Teressa Island in Andaman and Nicobar
Important Sport Affairs
- 80th National Table tennis Championship washeld in Cuttack, Odisha
- Achanta Sharath Kamal won the Men’s Title and Archana Kamath won the Women’s Title
- Premier Badminton League (PBL) 2019
- Bengaluru Raptors beat Mumbai Rockets
- Indonesia Masters 2019 held at the Istora Senayan in Jakarta, Indonesia
- Women’s singles title: Winner – Saina Nehwal of India; Runner – Carolina Marin of Spain
- Men’s singles title: Winner – Danish player Anders Antonsen; Runner -Kento Momota of Japan
- Virat Kohli beats Cricketing legend Sachin Tendulkar’s record, the fastest batsman to score 19000 international runs
- Indian fast bowler Jasprit Bumrah was the highest international wicket-taker of 2018 with 78 wickets.
- Rishabh Pant, the first Indian wicketkeeper-batsman to score a century in Test
- Nagaland Chief Minister Neiphiu Rio inaugurated first Astro Turf Football Pitch of the State at Indira Gandhi Stadium in Kohima, Nagaland
- Tata Open Maharashtra 2019 was held in Pune, Maharashtra
- Men’s singles title: Winner – Kevin Anderson of South Africa; Runner – Ivo Karlovic
- Australian Open 2019
- Women’s singles title: Winner – Japan’s Naomi Osaka; Runner – Czech Republic’s Petra Kvitova
- Men’s singles title: Winner – Serbia’s Novak Djokovik; Runner – Spain’s Rafael Nadal
- Croatian tennis player, Ivo Karlovic became the oldest man to win a match at the Australian Open
- Malaysia removed from the right to host world Para-swimming championship 2019
- Khelo India Youth Games concluded at the Shiv Chhatrapati Sports Complex, Balewadi in Pune with the host Maharashtra leading the medals table by winning a mammoth 85 gold, 62 silver and 81 bronze for a total of 228 medals in the Games. Haryana stood at second place
- Indian Weightlifting Federation President Birendra Prasad Baishya is named as Chef de Mission for the Tokyo 2020 Olympics
- Confederation of African Football’s (CAF) Executive Committee announced that Egypt will host the African Cup for the fifth time in 2019
- The fourth edition of the Pro Wrestling League (PWL)
- Haryana Hammers defeated defending champions Punjab Royals
- Chennai Open ATP Challenger tennis tournament
- Corentin Moutet defeated Andrew Harris of Australia
- Pro Volleyball League (PVL)
- Chennai Spartans defeated Calicut Heroes by 3-0 in Nehru Indoor Stadium, Chennai
- 85th season of the Ranji Trophy Vidarbha won by defeating Saurashtra
- Irani cup titles Vidarbha won by defeated Rest of India (RoI)
- 36 years old India’s Women Cricket team captain, Mithali Raj became the first female player to play 200 ODIs
- Nepal’s cricketer Sundeep Jora, became the youngest man to score a half-century in T20 Internationals at the age of 17 years and 103 days.
- Former captain of the Pakistan women team Sana Mir became the first Asian woman to play hundred T20Is
- 17th edition of the AFC Asian Cup held in UAE Qatar defeated four-time champion Japan 3-1
- International Paralympics Committee (IPC) lifted the ban on Russian Para athletes under certain conditions.
- Smiling Clouded Leopard-Mascot of National Games 2022 to be held in Meghalaya.
- Indian Super League (ISL) title won Bengaluru Football Club (FC) by defeated FC Goa by 1-0.
- Dubai Tennis Championship 2019
- Roger Federer won Men’s Singles title over Stefanos Tsitsipas
- Belinda Bencic won women’s Singles in Dubai Championship
- India has lost the hosting rights of two international tennis tournaments viz. Junior Davis Cup and Fed Cup which were scheduled to be held in RK Khanna stadium, New Delhi in April. Now both events will be held in Bangkok, Thailand.
- International Shooting Sports Federation (ISSF) held in New Delhi. India ranked 1st along with Hungary
- Olympic Council of Asia decided to invite Oceania Nations to compete in 2022 Asian Games for the first time after a meeting held in Bangkok.
- South Korea won Azlan Shah Hockey Cup by defeating India
- Papua New Guinea got ODI status after USA and Oman
- FIFA world football rankings- Belgium stayed on the top spot
- Indian women’s Hockey team won Malaysia series by 4-0
- China set to host the football Asian Cup 2023 after withdrawal from South Korea
- Mutua Madrid Open 2019 in Madrid, Spain
- Men’s Singles: Winner – Novak Djokovic (Serbia); Runner – StefanosTsitsipas (Greece)
- Women’s Singles: Winner – Kiki Bertens (Netherlands); Runner – SimonaHalep(Romania)
- As per the latest list released by FIFA (Federation Internationale de Football Association) World Rankings, Indian football team remains at a 101st position and Belgium continued to top in the list.
- French Open 2019
- Men’s Singles – Rafael Nadal (Spain)
- Women’s Singles – Ashleigh Barty (Australia)
- Novak Djokovic, Naomi Osaka remain as World No. 1 in the tennis rankings
Important Summits and Conference
- World Economic Forum Annual Meeting 2019 – Davos-Klosters, Switzerland
- 7th ASEAN-India Tourism Ministers meeting – Ha Long City, Vietnam
- South India MSME Summit-2019 – Bengaluru
- Indian Science Congress (ISC)-2019 – Lovely Professional University Jalandhar, Punjab
- The theme of 106th edition of ISC 2019, is: ‘Future India: Science and Technology’.
- 9th International Micro irrigation conference – Aurangabad, Maharashtra
- Global Aviation Summit (GAS) 2019 – Mumbai, Maharashtra
- 2+2 Inter-Sessional meeting between the United States and India – New Delhi
- India-Norway Business Summit 2019 – New Delhi
- Gandhian Resurgence Summit – Prayagraj, UttarPradesh
- Global Skill Summit 2019 – Ranchi, Jharkhand
- The theme of the Summit was: ‘Skilling Youth, Enabling Youth’
- G20 annual summit
- 2019 – Osaka, Japan
- 2020 – Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
- 2022 – India
- G20 Finance Ministers and Central Bank Governors Meet – Fukuoka, Japan
- G20 Ministerial meeting on Trade and Digital Economy – Tsukuba city, Japan
- 4th edition of International Conference on Pharmaceutical & Medical Device – Bengaluru, Karnataka
- 5th International Dam Safety Conference 2019 – Bhubaneshwar, Odisha
- World Government Summit – Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- 2nd ASEAN – India Youth Summit – Guwahati
- Theme – “Connectivity: Pathway to Shared Prosperity”
- The fourth edition of International Spice Conference – Hyderabad
- 8th World CSR Congress – Mumbai, Maharashtra
- India-Monaco Business Forum – New Delhi
- National Conference on Unani Medicine – New Delhi
- World Sustainable Development Summit (WSDS) 2019 – New Delhi
- Theme-“Attaining the 2030 Agenda: delivering on our promise”.
- Global Business Summit – New Delhi
- 4th India-ASEAN Expo and Summit – New Delhi
- 14th Agricultural Science Congress – New Delhi
- 46th session of the Council of Foreign Ministers of the Organisation of Islamic Co-operation (OIC) meeting – Abu Dhabi
- 34th meeting of the Goods and Services Tax Council – New Delhi
- 9th round of the U.S.-India Strategic Security Dialogue – Washington DC, United States
- The second edition of Belt and Road Forum (BRF) – Beijing, China
- Theme – “Belt and Road Cooperation: Shaping a Brighter Shared Future
- Global Water Summit – London
- 2nd Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) Mass Media Forum – Bishkek in Kyrgyzstan
- Ocean Conference 2020 – Lisbon, Portugal
- Second Urban 20 (U20) Mayors summit – Tokyo, Japan
- India, Brazil and South Africa (IBSA) Sherpas meeting – Cochin, Kerala
- 16th Ministerial Meeting of Asia Cooperation Dialogue – Doha, Qatar
- 52nd Annual Meeting of ADB’s Board of Governors – Fiji
- India and China Industry Cooperation Forum – Guizhou, China
- India-US Bilateral trade meeting – New Delhi
- The ministerial meeting of the World Trade Organisation (WTO) – New Delhi
- 11th India Iran Joint Consular Committee Meeting (JCCM) – New Delhi
- 14th Islamic Summit – Mecca, Saudi Arabia
- 16th Edition of Asia Media Summit (AMS) 2019 – Siem Reap province, Cambodia
- Intersessional meeting of Kimberley Process – Mumbai, Maharashtra
Important Awards & Recognition
- Bharat Ratna – Former President Pranab Mukherjee, social activist Nanaji Deshmukh (posthumously) and musician Dr Bhupen Hazarika (posthumously)
- 4th annual Carnot Prize – Union Minister Piyush Goyal
- National Bravery Award – Wahengbam Lamnganba Singh
- Exhibitor of the Year Award – Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) pavilion
- First-ever Philip Kotler Presidential award – Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi
- Gandhi Peace Prize for 2018 – Yohei Sasakawa
- Japan Prize 2019 – Dr. Rattan Lal
- Confederation of African Football Player of the Year award 2018 – Mohamed Salah
- Bimal Roy Memorial and Film Society honor – Veteran actors Asha Parekh and Farooque Shaikh
- Hindu Literary Prize 2018
- Fiction Category – Neelum Saran Gour author of Requiem in Raga Janki
- Non-fiction category – Manoranjan Byapari author of Interrogating my Chandal Life: An Autobiography of a Dalit
- Padma Vibhushan 2019
- Teejan Bai – Art-Vocals-Folk(Chhattisgarh)
- Shri Ismail Omar Guelleh – Public Affairs Djibouti(Foreigner)
- Shri Anilkumar Manibhai Naik – Trade & Industry-Infrastructure (Maharashtra)
- Shri Balwant Moreshwar Purandare – Art-Acting-Theatre (Maharashtra)
- ICC Men’s Awards 2018
- Sir Garfield Sobers Trophy for ICC Cricketer of the Year – Virat Kohli (India)
- ICC Men’s Test Player of the Year ICC Men’s ODI Player of the year – Virat Kohli (India)
- Emerging Player of the year – Rishabh Pant
- Men’s T20I Performance of the Year – Aaron Finch(Australia)
- ICC Women’s Awards 2018
- ICC Women’s T20I Player of the Year – Alyssa Healy (Australia)
- ICC Women’s Emerging Player of the Year – Sophie Ecclestone (England)
- ‘Rachael Heyhoe Flint Award for the Women’s Cricketer of the Year‘ ‘Women’s ODI Player of the Year – Smriti Mandhana
- 76th Golden Globe Awards held at Beverly Hills, California in the USA
- Best Motion Picture in Drama – Bohemian Rhapsody
- Best Motion Picture in Musical or Comedy – Green Book
- Best Actor in Drama – Rami Malek for “Bohemian Rhapsody”
- Best Actress in Drama – Glenn Close for “The Wife”
- Best Actor in Musical or Comedy – Christian Bale for “Vice”
- Best Actress in Musical or Comedy – Olivia Colman for “The Favourite”
- Best Supporting Actor – Mahershala Ali for “Green Book”
- Best Supporting Actress – Regina King for “If Beale Street Could Talk”
- Best Director – Alfonso Cuaron for “Roma”
- Best Animated Feature Film – Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
- Best Foreign Language Film – Roma (Mexico)
- Football Ratna by Football Delhi – Sunil Chhetri
- Player of the Year award 2018 by Asian Hockey Federation – Harmanpreet Singh
- Rabindranath Tagore Award for Cultural Harmony
- For the year 2014 – Shri Rajkumar Singhajit Singh
- For the year 2015 – Chhayanaut
- For the year 2016 – Shri Ram Sutar Vanji
- Swachhata Excellence Awards 2019
- First – Raigarh
- Second – Ambikapur
- Third – Kumbakonam
- International human rights prize – Abdul Aziz Muhamat
- Gandhi Peace Prize
- For the year 2015 – Vivekanand Kendra, Kanyakumari
- For the year 2016 – Akshaya Patra Foundation and Sulabh International (jointly)
- For the year 2017 – Ekal Abhiyan Trust
- For the year 2018 – Yohei Sasakawa
- 61st Annual Grammy Awards:
- Album of the Year – Golden Hour by Kacey Musgraves
- Record of the Year – “This Is America”, Childish Gambino
- Song of the Year – “This Is America”, Childish Gambino
- 72nd British Academy of Film and Television Arts Awards:
- Best Film – Roma
- Best Director – Alfonso Cuaron (Roma)
- Best Actress – Olivia Colman (The Favourite)
- Best Actor – Rami Malek (Bohemian Rhapsody)
- Best Supporting Actress – Rachel Weisz (The Favourite)
- Best Supporting Actor – Mahershala Ali (Green Book)
- Laureus Sports Awards 2019:
- Sportsman of the Year – Novak Djokovic (Tennis, Serbia)
- Sportswoman of the Year – Simone Biles (Gymnastics, USA)
- Team of the Year – France’s Football Team (Football France)
- Sport for Good Award – Yuwa Football India (Jharkhand based NGO)
- 91st Academy Awards (Oscars 2019)
- Best picture – Green Book
- Best Actress – Olivia Colman (The Favourite)
- Best Actor – Rami Malek (Bohemian Rhapsody)
- Best Supporting Actress – Regina King (If Beale Street Could Talk)
- Best Supporting Actor – Mahershala Ali (Green Book)
- Best Director Alfonso Cuaron – Roma
- Best Foreign Language Film – Roma (Mexico)
- Vyas Samman 2018 – Leeladhar Jagudi
- Abel Prize(Nobel prize of mathematics) – Karen Uhlenbeck
- Commonwealth Youth Award – Padmanaban Gopalan
- Telangana Sports Journalist Association (TSJA)
- Saina Nehwal as sportsperson of the year
- Pullella Gopichand as Coach of the Year
- PV Sindhu as Outstanding Performer in women’s section
- Swachh Survekshan 2019 Awards
- Indore awarded as Cleanest City; Ambikapur in Chattisgarh was acknowledged as second India’s Cleanest City overall and became a role model for other towns in the state, followed by Mysuru as the third cleanest city
- Gujarat’s Ahmedabad was named as the Cleanest Big City in the population category of more than 10 lakh people.
- Chhattisgarh has also emerged India’s top performer among states, followed by Jharkhand and Maharashtra.
- University of Oxford’s world-famous Bodleian Libraries – Amartya Sen
- Pravasi Bharatiya Samman Award – Rajendra Kumar Joshi
- 64th Film fare Awards 2019
- Best Film – Raazi
- Critics Best Film – Andhadhun
- Best Actor in a Leading Role (Male) – Ranbir Kapoor (Sanju)
- Critics Best Actor in Leading Role (Male) – Ayushmann Khurrana (Andhadhun) and Ranveer Singh (Padmaavat)
- Best Actor in a Leading Role (Female) – Alia Bhatt (Raazi)
- Critics Best Actor in Leading Role (Female) – Neena Gupta (Badhaai Ho)
- Best Director – Meghna Gulzar (Raazi)
- Saraswati Samman 2018 – K Siva Reddy
- The second edition of Rabindranath Tagore Literary Prize 2019 – Rana Dasgupta
- Zayed Medal – PM Narendra Modi (This is United Arab Emirates’s highest civilian honour)
- ESPN India Awards2018
- Sportsperson of the Year (Male) – Neeraj Chopra (Javelin throw)
- Sportsperson of the Year (Female)-PV Sindhu (Badminton)
- Wisden Cricketers’ Almanack 2019 Award
- Man – Virat Kohli
- Women – Smriti Mandhana
- Football Writers’ Association (FWA) Footballer of the Year 2019
- Man – Raheem Sterling
- Women – Nikita Parris
- Deenanath Mangeshkar Award 2019 – Madhur Bhandarkar
- World Press Freedom Hero award in 2019 – Cyril Almeida
- Man Booker International Prize 2019 – Jokha Alharthi
- Knight of the Legion of Honour – Former ISRO chief A.S. Kiran Kumar
- 27th P.C. Chandra Puraskaar – Dr. Devi Prasad Shetty
- 54th Jnanpith Award – Amitav Ghosh
- Danny Kaye Humanitarian Award” by United Nations International Children’s Fund’s (UNICEF) – Priyanka Chopra
- Miss India 2019 – Suman Rao
Important Brand and Campaign Ambassadors
- Event Ambassador of 16th Tata Mumbai Marathon – M C Mary Kom
- Learning Goodwill Ambassador of Commonwealth – Karthiyani Amma from Kerala
- Brand ambassador of Rajasthan Royals – Shane Warne
- Brand ambassador of PUMA – M C Mary Kom
- Ambassador of Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF)’s ‘Share Her Journey’ campaign – Rima Das
- Election ambassador (First Transgender) of Election Commission of India – Gauri Sawant
- Goodwill ambassador of United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) – Padma Lakshmi
- Goodwill ambassador of Indian women’s cricket team – Mithali Dorai Raj
Important Environment in News
- Tropical Storm Usman hits Philippines
- A Volcano was erupted on Mount Shindake on Kuchinoerabu island is 1,000 km southwest of the capital, Tokyo of Japan which spewed ash and smoke up to 6000 metres into the air.
- Butterfly researchers of Sikkim rediscovered the Small Woodbrown butterfly species from Bakhim in Khanchendzonga National Park after a span of 120 long years.
- A rare frog species was found by Scientists at Zoological Survey of India (ZSI) in Lower Subansiri district of Arunachal Pradesh.
- A small brown rat of bramble cay melomys species lived on a tiny island off northern Australia and becomes the world’s first mammal to have become extinct due to “human-induced climate change”.It was found only on a small sand island near the coast of Papua New Guinea.
- Wallace’s giant bee (Megachile pluto), the largest bee known on the Earth which was considered to be extinct since 1981 was re-spotted in an Indonesian forest.
- Himachal Pradesh government declared Monkeys as vermin
- The Indian Sundarban was accorded with the status of ‘Wetland of International Importance’ in the Ramsar Convention. Indian Sundarban which is also a UNESCO (The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization) world heritage site, is home to the Royal Bengal Tiger.
- A new species of frog named ‘Starry Dwarf Frog’ found in Western Ghats
- The Israeli cave explorers discovered the world’s longest cave named Malham near the Dead sea, beating the record-holder in Iran.
- Phayeng, a scheduled caste village of the Chakpa community in Imphal West district of Manipur has been tagged as India’s first carbon-positive settlement.
- The last known female member of Yangtze giant softshell turtle, 90 years old, died in Suzhou Zoo, China.
- NASA spotted lakes filled with Methane on Saturn’s moon Titan.
- Indian archaeologists recently unearthed a life-sized stucco sculpture from a Buddhist site at Phanigiri in Suryapet, Telangana.
- Anand-based National Dairy Development Board (NDDB) has developed world’s first complete parent-wise genome assembly of buffalo named “NDDB_ABRO_Murrah” of riverine buffaloes. This comes on the back of the successful launch of a customized genotyping chip for indigenous cattle and their crosses, named INDUSCHIP.
Important Economy in News
- Nepal ‘s Central bank announces to ban the use of Indian rupee notes above 100
- Vijay Mallya became the first person to be declared a ‘fugitive economic offender’ under Section 12 of the Fugitive Economic Offenders’ Act, 2018 by a special Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA) Court in Mumbai.
- World Bank projected India’ GDP, expected to grow at 7.3% in the fiscal year 2018-19, and 7.5% in the following two years.
- India is set to become world’s third largest consumer market after US and China in 2030
- Standard Chartered released its long term forecast which states that India will surpass the U.S to become the world’s second largest economy by 2030 while China will be at First Position. China will become the largest economy by 2020.
- A Fitch group company India ratings and research estimated that India’s GDP growth to be a “tad higher” at 7.5% in financial year 2019-20. Earlier it was 7.2% during fiscal year 2018-19.
- According to British consultancy multinational PwC, India surpassed the UK in the 2019 rankings of world’s largest economies to become the World’s Fifth Largest Economy.GDP growth of India in 2019 is 7.6 per cent whereas 1.6 per cent for the UK, and 1.7 per cent for France.
- India 4th Most Attractive Investment Market for Global CEO’s: PwC Survey
- The United Nations released the World Economic Situation and Prospects (WESP) report which projected India’s gross domestic product (GDP) to grow at 7.4 per cent during 2018-19 and improve to 7.6 per cent in the next fiscal.
- Research firm eMarket predicted that China will become world’s biggest retail market in 2019.
- According to RBI’s report, country’s foreign exchange reserves increased by USD 2.063 billion to USD 400.24 billion.
- The Marshall Islands is planning to release a digital currency called “SOV” (Sovereign) in 2019
- India lost its position as the world’s largest importer of weapons, which it held for over a decade, with Saudi Arabia topping the global share of arms imports between 2014 and 2018, as per the data published by the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (Sipri), the leading Stockholm-based think tank that measures weapons imports over five-year periods.
- Microsoft launched Project ‘Sangam’ to boost India’s Swachh Bharat Mission
- Integral Coach Factory of Chennai became the world’s largest rail coach manufacturer
- The merger of Dena Bank and Vijaya Bank into Bank of Baroda has come into effect. With this amalgamation, Bank of Baroda becomes the India’s second largest public sector bank and third largest commercial bank after State Bank of India (SBI) and HDFC Bank. It was India’s first ever three-way merger of banks.
- Emirates Islamic, a bank in Dubai, becomes the world’s first Islamic bank to launch banking via WhatsApp
- Google has launched its first African artificial Intelligence (AI) laboratory in Accra, capital city of Ghana, to tackle Africa’s challenges.
- First Indian Platform for Wholesale Cryptocurrency Trading has introduced by BuyUcoin
- The Netherlands, a country in north-western Europe, became the third largest source of Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) in India during 2017-18, with an investment of United States Dollar (USD) 2.67 billion across all sectors. Mauritius and Singapore are the top two countries for FDI in India during 2017-18 with an investment of USD 13.41 billion and USD 9.27 billion respectively.
- Border Road Organisation (BRO) officials have created India’s first ever ice cafe in the mountain village of Gaya in Ladakh region of Jammu and Kashmir, at 14,000 feet height above sea level, on the famous Manali Leh Highway.
- Government Met The Fiscal Deficit Target Of 3.4% For FY 2018-19
- Facebook launched its first interactive Game Show “Confetti” in India
- Bangladesh emerged as the fastest economy in Asia-Pacific: Asian Development Bank
- India GDP growth rate forecast by different organizations:
Central Statistical Office (CSO)
2019 – 7.2% from earlier estimate of 6.7%.
2019-20 – 7.5%
2019-20 – 7.3%
Central Statistics Office (CSO)
2018-19 – Revised to 7% from 7.2%
Fitch rating in its Global Economic
2019-20 – 6.8%
2020-21 – 7.1%
Asia Development Bank
2019-20 – 7.2%
World Economic Outlook (WEO)
released by International Monetary
2019 – 7.3%
2020 – 7.5%
2019-20 – 7.5%
The real GDP growth is estimated at 7.2 per cent in FY 2018-19
2020 – 7.1%.
It is a downward revision from 7.4% which was estimated in January 2019
Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD)
2019 – 7.25%
2020 – 7.5%
FICCI’s (Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry)
2021 – 7.2%
RBI’s MPC (Monetary Policy Committee)
2020 – 7% from 7.2%
2020 – 6.8%
ADB’s Asian Development Outlook 2019
2019 – 5.7% for Asia Pacific Region
Important Govt. Schemes in News
- The government gave out the 6-crore free cooking gas (LPG) connection as the scheme to make available cleaner fuel in every household kitchen under the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana (PMUY).
- Hundred percent household electrification achieved in 25 states under SAUBHAGYA(Pradhan Mantri Sahaj Bijli Har Ghar Yojana) scheme: Ministry of Power
- Only about 10.48 Lakh households are left to be electrified in 4 States viz., Assam, Rajasthan, Meghalaya and Chhattisgarh.
- The highest volume of electrification was done in the State of Uttar Pradesh with 74.4 Lakh willing households being electrified in all of its 75 districts.
- Maharashtra Government announced distribution of free sops to encourage farmers to enrol in the Atal Solar Krishi Pump Yojana.
- Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik launched a new scheme ‘Ama Ghare LED’ to distribute free led bulbs
- Sikkim CM launched ‘One Family, One Job’ scheme in Rojgar Mela 2019 to give one state government job to one family
- Madhya Pradesh launched employment scheme “Yuva Swabhiman Yojana” for urban youth
- The Ministry of Rural Development in partnership with states has completed 1.37 crore rural homes under Pradhan Mantri Awaas Yojana – Gramin (PMAY –G)and Indira Awaas Yojana (IAY) since April 2014.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched the Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi (PM-KISAN) scheme in Gorakhpur,Uttar Pradesh.
- The scheme will provide Rs 6,000 per year to small and marginal farmer families having combined land holding/ownership of upto 2 hectares.
- The amount will be given in three installments of Rs 2,000 each and will be transferred directly to the bank account of the beneficiaries through Direct Benefit Transfer, ensuring transparency in the entire process and saving time for the farmers.
- Odisha launched Kalia scholarship scheme to boost education for farmers children
- A water conservation scheme ‘Jal Amrutha’ was launched by Karnataka chief minister H D Kumaraswamy, in Bengaluru.
- West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee launched a new scheme called Yuvashree Plan II or Yuvashree Arpan under which 50,000 youths will receive financial assistance of Rs 1 lakh for setting up an their own business initiatives.
- Roshni App – To help Visually Impaired to recognise currency notes, developed by Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Ropar
- Bolo App – To focuses on improving the reading and comprehension skills of students, especially the ones in rural areas, Developed by Google India
- “Candidate Connect” and “Share You Voted” – Specifically for Indian users to encourage civic engagement on its platform during the general elections 2019. The moves will help to prevent fake news and to make sure that it doesn’t impact the general election in India. These new tools are available in 12 local languages across India. Launched by Facebook.
Important Rank & Index
|Report Titles||Name of the Organizations||Key Notes|
|Aspirational districts for the period of December 2018-January 2019||NITI Aayog|
Top 3 Districts:
|List of Most Powerful Passports||Henley Passport Index|
Topped by Japan
India has leaped two steps forward to 79th rank
|EIU Democracy Index 2018||Economist Intelligent Unit|
Topped by Norway
India ranked at 41st
Topped by South Korea
India is ranked at the 54th Position
|Corruption Perception Index (CPI)||Transparency International|
Topped by Denmark
India is ranked at the 78th Position
Syria and South Sudan are ranked bottom in the index
|Global Talent Competitive Index (GTCI) 2019||NSEAD business school in partnership with Tata Communications and Adecco Group|
Topped by Switzerland
India is ranked at the 80th Position
|World’s busiest airport – Dubai International (DXB) airport|
|Emerging Economies University Rankings 2019||Times Higher Education||Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bangaluru retains the highest spot for India (14th), followed by the Indian Institute of Technology Bombay (27th).|
|Ease of Doing Business (EDB) index 2018||Asia Competitiveness Institute’s (ACI)||Top three states – Andhra Pradesh Maharashtra and Delhi|
|World’s biggest retail market in 2019||Research firm eMarket||China will become the world’s biggest retail market in 2019 by Surpass USA|
World Steel Association Report
India has replaced Japan became the second largest steel producing country
China is the largest producer of crude steel
|Future of Consumption in Fast-Growth Consumer Market- India||World Economic Forum||India is set to become the world’s third-largest consumer market behind only the USA and China by 2030|
World’s largest economies
India surpassed the UK in the 2019 rankings of the world’s largest economies to become the World’s Fifth Largest Economy
|Best practices followed by states in budget formulation||Transparency International|
Top three states are 1.Assam, 2.Andhra Pradesh, 3 Odisha
Meghalaya, Manipur and Punjab were figured at lower positions.
|International IP Index||US Chambers of Commerce|
Topped by US
India rank 36th
|Passport Index of 2019||UNDP human development index|
Topped by UAE
India rank 67th
|Inclusive Internet Index 2019||Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU) for Facebook 47th|
Topped by Sweden
India Rank 47th
|Prime International Residential Index (PIRI 100)||Knight Frank|
Top 3 Cities:
Mumbai-16th, Delhi-55th & Bengaluru-56th
|World Air Quality Report 2018||IQ Air AirVisual & Greenpeace|
Gurugram-Most polluted region in the world in 2018.
Delhi -Most polluted capital in the world.
|Cheapest mobile data in the world||Price comparison site cable.co.uk.||India has the cheapest mobile data in the world.|
|World Happiness Report||United Nations|
Topped by Finland followed by Denmark, Norway
India ranked 140th out of 156 nations. India shows a 7 spot decline along with five other countries.
|Indian brands of 2019||Brand consultancy Interbrand, a division of Omnicom Group|
Topped by Tata Consultancy Services (TCS)
Reliance, Airtel, HDFC Bank, LIC, State Bank of India, Infosys, Mahindra, ICICI Bank, and Godrej followed it
|Migration and Development Brief||World Bank|
World’s top 5 recipients of remittances in 2018:
|World Press Freedom Index 2019||Reporters Without Borders|
Topped by Norway
India ranked 140th
List of Top 3 Polluted Cities in the world by WHO & Climate Trends:
|World’s military expenditure||Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI)|
World’s top 4 military spenders in 2018:
|World Competitiveness economy Rankings||IMD (Institute for Management Development)|
Topped by Singapore
India ranked in 43rd most competitive economy in the world
|SDG (Sustainable Development Goals) Gender-Equality Index||World Economic Forum|
Topped by Denmark
India ranked at 95th Position
|Report on internet trends||Venture capitalist, Mary Meeker|
Top 3 Countries:
|Renewable Power Generation Costs in 2018||International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA)|
Cheapest country to produce solar energy:
|The Periodic Labour Force Survey (PLFS) for 2017-18||National Sample Survey Organization (NSSO)|
The highest unemployment rate among the states:
The lowest unemployment rate among the states:
- World’s first female amputee to climb Mount Vinson, the highest peak of Antarctica – Arunima Sinha
- First Indian and youngest man to climb the seven highest peaks and volcanic summits across all continents – Satyarup Siddhanta
- The Chief Minister on this occasion also laid the foundation stone of various developmental projects including the first Hindi university in West Bengal in Arupara, Howrah district
- UNESCO named the World Capital of Architecture for 2020- Rio de Janeiro, a city in Brazil
- World’s highest polling station – Tashigang
- First railway station to get an ISO (International Organisation for Standardisation) certification – Guwahati Railway Station
- First Indian Women In 359 Years To Join Royal Society – Gagandeep Kang
- Guinness World Records on “Longest Dancing Marathon by an Individual” surpassed Kalamandalam Hemalatha(India) – Bandana(Nepali teenager)
- DD India channel will be broadcasted in Bangladesh & South Korea
- The highest enrolment of transgenders (324) is in Mumbai North Lok Sabha constituency.
- Keohjhar Police Station, Orissa is a collaboration with India Post has Issued 10 postage stamps, each featuring the Ashok Chakra Awardees from Police Department across the country, under the My Stamp scheme.
- Swaccha Surveksahan 2018 award for Best Capital City in the Solid Waste Management was conferred to Greater Hyderabad Municipal Corporation.
- Union Petroleum Minister has launched the Ujjwala Sanitary Napkin initiative in Bhubaneswar.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated 106th of Indian Science Congress 2019 in Jalandhar, Punjab on the 3rd of January.
- Delhi Police become the first police force in India to digitize all Malkhanas.
- The Cabinet has approved the merger of Vijaya Bank, Dena Bank and Bank of Baroda.
- Uttar Pradesh state government has introduced Gau Kalyan cess 0.5%.
- Maharashi Dayanand University, Haryana declared cleanest government university by HRD Ministry
- Tripura to set up International Buddhist University
- The Union Ministry of Human Resource Development has approved the establishment of a Centre for Classical Language in Kerala
- The National Green Tribunal has imposed a fine of Rs 100 crore rupees on Meghalaya state government for its failure to curb illegal coal mining in the state.
- Andhra Pradesh to set up Central Tribal University
- USA and Israel have officially quit the UNESCO in January.
- USA has official quit CoP 21 Agreement.
- USA have official quit TPP
- USA have official quit UNHRC
- USA have official quit NAFTA
- Qatar ceased to be a member of the Organisation of the Petroleum Exporting Countries from 1st January 2019.
- France has introduced the GAFA(Google, Apple, Facebook and Amazon) Tax on global internet and technology firms.
- Pakistan declared Panj Teerath, ancient Hindu religious site to be national heritage.
- First International Conference on Bears organization in Agra, UP
- Chines spacecraft Chang’e-4 has made the first-ever landing on the far side of the moon.
- Ramnath Goenka Excellence in Journalism Award for Investigative Reporting – D S Vijay Kumar
- Military Literature Festival 2018 held in Chandigarh
- Top three Police Stations 2018 Releases by Union Home Minister
- Kalu, Rajasthan
- Campbell Bay, Andaman & Nicobar Island
- Farakka, West Bengal
- India’s first private Unmanned Aerial Vehicles(UAV) manufacturing facility has been inaugurated in Hyderabad.
- IIT Hyderabad becomes India’s first institute to launch Btech in Artificial Intelligence.
- India’s first Dog Park opens in Hyderabad
- India’s first Elephant Hospital opens in Mathura, Uttar Pradesh.
- The second meeting of the NITI Forum for the North East held in Guwahati, Assam.
- Archaeological Survey of India has declared six monuments of national importance in 2018
- Old High Court Building in Nagpur, Maharashtra
- Haveli of Agra Khan in Agra, Uttar Pradesh
- Haveli of Hathi Khana in Agra, Uttar Pradesh
- Neemrana Baori in Alwar district, Rajasthan
- Group of Temples at Ranipur Jharail in Bolangir district, Odisha
- Vishnu Temple in Kotali in Pitharagarh district, Uttarkhand
- World Herbal Forest Project opens in Morni, Hill, Panchkula, Haryana.
- India’s largest cancer hospital National Cancer Institute(NCI) opened in Jhajjar, Haryana
- India’s first Skill Development University(Name – Sri Vishwakarma) open in Palwal, Haryana
- India’s data usage per smartphone is the highest in the world at 9.8GB per month.